pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

¿Dónde Está SuperTarget?

Grocery shopping in Spain is...different. Different than shopping in the US - shocker, I know. I've been grocery shopping for a few days now and am just now starting to feel like my kitchen is set up. I'll give some credit for the extended shopping period to the fact that the kitchen started with nothing but bowls and plates, so building from the ground-up was an extra bonus challenge. Where's a Target when a sista needs one?!

I realized by about day 3 of grocery shopping that my first mistake was making a list. In the US, this was standard protocol for me, but in Spain it only causes disappointment and eventual exhaustion. See, back in Chicago, I could start my shopping at Aldi and check off as much as possible there, then pick up everything else at Trader Joe's...and maybe a couple basics at Dominick's...and one last thing at Whole Foods if I was feeling froggy. So yes, grocery voyages have always been my thing. It was always the best way to ensure I got what I wanted and for a fair price.

Well shoot, I have no idea which of these Spanish stores is akin to any of my Chi-town faves! I started at Carrefour Express and checked off a few items from my list, then moved to SimplyCity and checked off a couple more...trekked over to Lidl to check off one or two more...proceeded to Corte Inglés for a bit more....and then hit a couple fruterías before I fell out. But guess what? My list was still hella long because the bottom line is that some of these items just aren't readily available. This is about how I feel my conversation would go with the stores I visited as I moved through my grocery list:
  • Sweet potatoes?
    • Nah...You can try these corrugated batatas instead.
  • Plain skim Greek yogurt?
    • You fancy, huh? Better go shop in a rich neighborhood.
  • Canned black beans?
    • Gonna have to go to the Latin foods store for that.
  • Jalapeños?
    • Jajaja...we don't like spicy food like that. Don't play yourself.
  • Kale?
    • ¿Qué?
Needless to say, my list hasn't been fulfilled yet, and I know I'll find some of these things, but for now I'm adjusting and making some work-arounds, like cozying up to gazpacho in cartons to get my veggies in, pledging allegiance to acelga (chard) until I find col rizada (kale), and buying a slow cooker to make my own black beans. I probably won't shop with a list until I'm very familiar with what's available and where. My shopping will have to be based on what I want/can eat from what's available most likely, and a fair amount of trial and error. For example, I found almond milk, but it was so sweet that it was more like nutty Kool-Aid than a sub for milk. I bought mixed nuts for trail mix, but they're crazy salty. 

eggs...right there in the corner
In the meantime, check out some fun grocery facts...

Eggs are not refrigerated. Ever. Anywhere. Just chillin' in the corner (well, not literally, but you know what I mean). I may not be purchasing eggs the entire time I'm here. I know I've eaten unrefrigerated eggs, but I'm inordinately weirded out by this.


Milk isn't really refrigerated either. I'm down with this because it tastes good and there is a broad variety of milks available - including lactose-free milk that doesn't cost a grip.

Damn near anything nutty/trail-mixy/snacky qualifies as frutos secos (dried fruits). And oftentimes the nuts labeled as dried fruits are actually fried! Buyer beware!
neither frutos nor secos...discuss.

The seafood section is just...outchea.
seafood is....fresh!
In addition, I'm struggling to feel comfortable buying meat products because of dudes like this. *Diddy voice* For real? You just gon' lean on the meat counter and text? Is that what's hot in the streets?

are you on WhatsApp?
Wine is so cheap. So cheap. Only slight more expensive than bottled water, which is also far cheaper than in the States.

vino... < $1

Here are some items that probably wouldn't make it in the States. I didn't even realize I have a couple of these in my home!
in case you didn't already feel guilty about chugging that beer.
self explanatory

die, milk, die!







moldi bread?

This would be an exotic foods shop.
100% American

Welp, siesta is over, and I'm heading out to buy some exotic foods! Don't judge me if I come back with graham crackers and bad canned frosting. Hasta :)

mmm, artificial flavors!

1 comment:

  1. lol it's like the U.S. coming out with a Chevy Nova (Mexico wasn't too keen on driving a car that translates to no go)

    ReplyDelete