pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Spanish Gym Life

I'm not a gym rat by any means, as much as I'd love to be, but I know my way around the health club....and I must say that gym life in Spain seems to be really different. This conclusion is based on my last month on a Groupon-subsidized membership to a pretty fancy-pants gimnasio.

I gave the place a once-over:
  • Schedule: This gym is never open before 7am - so much for those crack-of-dawn workouts! Maybe they figure if the Metro isn't open, you don't need to be getting all crazy figuring out a way to get to the weight rack. And it closes in the afternoon on weekends (Saturday at 2; Sunday at 4) so there's precious little time to "catch up" on workouts and get ready for the week.
  • Equipment: Though the gym is pretty small, I was delighted to see several kettlebells (though that's kind of scary to just have them out all willy-nilly for the uninitiated). Free weights, mats, and steps for aerobics or plyometrics are plentiful. The instructors in the cardio studio teach from a little platform, and they are filmed so everyone can see them well - jazzy. 
  • Rush Hour: No classes are available during typical siesta time - about 1pm-5pm. There is no after-work mad dash. When I go around 5 or 6pm, it's pretty empty, and doesn't start to get a little crowded until around 7:30pm.
because gym selfies are the worst selfies
Additional observations:
  • I have tried and tried to not believe it, but handwashing is just not the norm around here. I saw multiple women exit the bathroom stall, walk through the locker room and head directly toward the cardio floor. 0_o Gross! Looks like I'm bringing my own Lysol, eh? (If only I could buy some!)
  • The gym vending machine might just be the only place in Madrid to get a protein shake or protein bar. They shol' don't carry Muscle Milk at the corner store.
  • The age-old problem is global: Rack your weights!
So, digesting all of this information, my immediate issue was figuring out what gym life I'll be leading here in Madrid. For now, I'm a nomad - on the hunt for my next Groupon...


No comments:

Post a Comment